School is out or ending soon across Siouxland, and the Sioux City Public Library has awesome plans for keeping Sioux City families busy reading this summer! This year's summer reading program theme is "A Universe of Reading". I got to speak with the children's librarians at the Sioux City Public Library and take a sneak peek at the reading lots and prizes, and here's what I found out:
Reading Logs & Prizes for Kids and Teens
Toddlers, elementary age kids, tweens, and teens are invited to participate in the summer reading log program. Each visit to the library earns a stamps. The program will run pretty much the same as past years, but with some fun surprises. The visit rewards include:
- Visit 1: Super cute bags to carry your books in to all your summer fun
- Visit 2: A prize from the prize bin, plus a family pack of tickets to the Sioux City Explorers baseball game on August 9th, 2019! August 9th is "National Book Lovers' Day," and the Explorers wanted to help celebrate. Besides the passes you can win from the summer reading program, the Sioux City Explorers will also have $2 drinks that night and will be giving away a few t-shirts to lucky fans throughout the game. You can find more details on this game and the rest of the 2019 season on the Sioux City Explorers website.
- Visit 3: A prize from the prize bin
- Visit 4: A new book!
The prizes looked super cute, and most are in keeping with the space theme, including posters, astronaut ducks, star sunglasses, and galaxy slime! And the grand prize books that kids can pick on their 4th visit looked really fun. I think my kids will have a hard time choosing!
|Some of the books for preschool and elementary age kids!|
The Sioux City Public Library 2019 summer reading program log books and prizes will be available from June 1st through August 10th.
Adult Summer Reading Program Logs & Prize
Parents can participate too (and college aged siblings, aunts & uncles, grandparents, friends and neighbors!) I love that the Sioux City Public Library does a low key adult program with a fun prize, because reading is for everyone, and adults having fun reading will help encourage kids to see reading as a positive thing. Also, I love prizes (I won a few years ago!) This year's prize for adults is a Samsung tablet (they didn't specify which Samsung tablet, but basically all Samsung tablets are pretty nice! It's a great prize and would be perfect for reading e-books, listening to audiobooks, and using the library e-resources like language learning. To enter, adults can choose from a variety of fun activities, and get one entry for each activity they do, up to 5 entries per person. The activities include things like reading a book suggested by a librarian, downloading an ebook or some music from Freegal, reading a novel with less than 200 words, and many others. And you have all summer to do it--the adult summer reading program runs the same dates as the program for kids, June 1st through August 10th.
There will be two special events to kick off the 2019 Sioux City Public Library summer reading program. At both programs, families can pick up their summer logs and get their first visit prizes, plus enjoy the fun activities:
- Duke Otherwise concert at the Perry Creek branch of the Sioux City Public Library
- Tuesday, June 4th from 11am to noon
- Jedi Training Academy event at the Aalfs/Downtown branch of the Sioux City Public Library
- Thursday, June 6th from 2-4pm
- Star Wars themed activities will include lightsaber wielding, stormtrooper seek and find, and Star Wars Trivia, plus a live appearance from costumed Star Wars characters including stormtroopers!
There are also a wide variety of ongoing educational activities scheduled throughout the summer including:
- Imagination Builders
- Every Monday from June 10th through July 29th from 11am to noon
- For kids in grades 1-3
- Will feature STEAM based books and hands-on activities
- Innovation Studio
- Thursdays From June 13th-27th and July 11th-25th from 2-4pm
- For kids in grades 4-8
- Will explore a variety of STEM topics
- Library Storytimes
- Storytimes are open to everyone, but designed for toddlers and preschoolers (with an adult caregiver present)
- Storytime at the Perry Creek branch will be every Tuesday from June 11th to August 6th at 11am
- Storytime at the Aalfs/Downtown branch will be every Wednesday from June 5th to August 7th at 10:30am
- Read-to-Me Dogs
- Read-to-me dogs provide a low pressure, high cuteness opportunity for kids in kindergarten through 5th grade to practice their reading skills as they read aloud to specially trained pups!
- The read-to-me dogs will be at the Aalfs/Downtown branch every Tuesday from June 11th to July 30th from 2-3pm
- Teen Book Club
- Teen book club will meet every Thursday from June 11th to August 1st from 10:30am to noon
- Open to 6th through 12th graders
- Limited to 15 participants, so please register on the library website, in person, or by calling (712)255-2933 x2231
- Family Movies
- all movies are at the downtown branch
- 6/7: 10am, Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse (PG)
- 6/14: 10am, Mary Poppins (PG)
- 7/5: 10am, Hotel Transylvania 2 (PG)
- 7/12: 2pm, Star Wars: The Force Awakens (PG-13)
- 7/19: 10am, The House with a Clock in its Walls (PG)
- 7/26: 10am, Incredibles 2 (PG)
- 8/2: 10am, Ralph Wrecks the Internet (PG)
And last but not least, the Sioux City Public Library has some really amazing one time events happening to support the summer reading program. Those include:
- Super-Cold Science
- Mon 6/17 at 1:30 & 3pm
- Free, but tickets required (available 6/3)
- For all ages
- Learn about the three states of matter and see cool experiments featuring liquid nitrogen!
- Presented by the Grout Museum District from Waterloo, IA
- Teen After-Hours Mystery
- Fri 6/21 from 6:30 to 8:30pm
- Registration required
- For grades 6-12
- Solve a space themed mystery in the library!
- Fri 6/28 in 30 minute sessions from 9:30am to noon
- Registration required
- For ages 5+
- Inflatable Starlab planetarium will let kids learn about constellations and the Greek myths behind them!
- Superstar Toddler Time
- Fri 7/12 at 10am
- For kids 3 & under
- Registration required
- Teen Galaxy Painting
- Weds 7/17 from 2-4pm
- For 6th-12th graders
- Registration required
- Teens can paint their own galaxy print tote bags!
- Benny's Lego Spaceship
- Mon 7/22 at 1:30 & 3pm
- For kids in grades 4-12
- Free, but tickets required (available 7/8)
- Featuring The Lego Guy
- Legos at the Library
- Thurs 8/1 from 2-4pm
- For grades K-5
- Drop-in event
I'm so excited to get reading and enter for some great prizes! Summer reading 2019 is going to be totally epic. For more information on the Sioux City Public Library summer reading program, visit the Sioux City Public Library website or connect with the Sioux City Public Library on Facebook or Instagram. For info on other summer reading programs in our area, check out my 2019 Siouxland Summer Reading Programs post.