In spring 2020 we saw over 20,000 cases of COVID-19 in Iowa, more than 15,000 in Nebraska, and more than 5000 cases in South Dakota, many of those right here in Siouxland.
Wow, a lot has changed since I first posted this! When I first started this post, the nearest outbreak of COVID-19 was one family in Omaha! Now, we have seen nearly everything in our tri-state area closed to try to flatten the curve, and the number of cases skyrocketed higher than many people thought possible, yet mercifully lower than many of the projection models.
I did a major update on this post in June 2020 and a small update in July 2020, and it will now reflect what is re-opening in our area! I will try to keep it up to date, so check back for updates, but I do not run any of these organizations, and I encourage you to seek out their individual websites and social media to confirm closings that affect you. Things are changing quickly, and this will probably be outdated very soon.
What is open as of July 2nd:
- LaunchPad Children's Museum (opened 7/1)
- More details on Summer 2020 at LaunchPad Children's museum here.
- Miracle Field (splashpads remain closed)
- The Southern Hills Mall
- Siouxland restaurants, most at half capacity
- Sioux City Public Pools! (re-opened for open swim on 6/22/2020)
- Iowa, Nebraska, and South Dakota state parks
- Nature Playscape, bathrooms, and more open as of 6/26/2020 (see graphic below for more info!)
- DropZone (re-opened 6/2/2020)
- Washington Pavilion in Sioux Falls
- Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha
What is still closed, cancelled, or postponed as of July 2nd:
- Sioux City Public Museum, Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center, and Sioux City Art Center opening on 7/7/2020
- Sergeant Floyd Welcome Center closed until further notice
- Sioux City Public Library: The Perry Creek branch is offering curbside pickup, and the Morningside branch will be re-opening to the public on July 6th! They are doing lots of summer reading fun virtually, and with kits to pickup, so check out the details on Siouxland Summer Reading.
- South Sioux City Public Library re-opening on July 1st!
- State Fairs cancelled for 2020 include:
- Iowa State Fair
- Minnesota State Fair
- County Fairs cancelled for 2020 include:
- Woodbury County Fair
- Clay County Fair
- Dorothy Pecaut Nature Center, the beach at Brown's Lake, most state park lodges, and other visitor buildings closed until further notice.
- Chuck E. Cheese Sioux City location permanently closed (announced 6/23/2020)
- Sioux City Explorers baseball season postponed
- Sioux City Bandits 2020 football season cancelled
- Garden Cafe (due to the owner's retirement)-re-opened as a Mexican restaurant according to signs on window. Will share more details when I have them!
- Saturday in the Park (postponed)
- The Big Parade & Mardi Gras Festivale (postponed)
- The Abu Bekr Shrine Circus (rescheduled for October instead of its original date in April)
If you know of something I should add to this list or update on this list, please e-mail me! Thanks!