What do you do when the shipping deadlines have come and gone and you still need another gift? For Christmas 2020, the "guaranteed by Christmas" shipping deadline has already passed for many online retailers, but you can still order from some, including Amazon (until 12/22 if you're a Prime member,) But even beyond that point, there are options right here in town, no delivery needed. So don't despair! Here are some of the amazing local stores, restaurants, and attractions offering Christmas gifts for everyone on your list that you can get right here in Sioux City:
2020 Downtown Small Business Marketplace Pop-Up event
Come shop local and regional small businesses in downtown Sioux City during weekends in December before Christmas (12/5, 12/12, and 12/19)! Sioux City Downtown Partners and Iowa's West Coast Initiative teamed up to make it possible for local makers and companies to open up shop in vacant downtown spaces just for Decembers in 2020. You can find full details including all participating businesses on the Small Business Marketplace page, but a few of the participating stores and makers include:
- Britton Hacke Photography
- Feddersen USA Wagyu Beef
- Little Swan Lake Winery
- Nightingale Coffee
- and many more!
Local stores with unique toys, books, and other gifts
- Thinker Toys
- Across the street from Sertoma Park, Thinker Toys is commonly known as "the toy castle". The insides are as delightful as the outside, with a huge variety of toys from great brands. A few of my favorites are Corolle dolls, Calico Critters, the train room and Lego room in the corners, and the puppets. You'll also find Playmobil, Melissa & Doug, Alex toys, and lots of other unique brands you'll love.
- For store hours and more info, check out the Thinker Toys Facebook page
- Book People
- Between Hy-Vee and Shopko on Hamilton Boulevard, Book People is full of delightful books for all ages (including mine, 100 Things to Do in Sioux City & Siouxland Before You Die!), along with a selection of toys and games including the super soft (and cute!) Jellycat brand of plush. Many of the plush animals and toys go with books, making for an easy and natural gift pairing!
- For more info, visit the Book People Facebook page
- ACME Comics
- Wide variety of comic books for all ages and interests, plus tons of geekery for the fandoms your friends and family love, like books, shirts, posters, toys, and more!
- For more info check out the ACME Comics Facebook page
- Thorpe and Co.
- This Sioux City jeweler is going out of business, so selection is limited, but if you love something still in stock, you're definitely going to get a great price on it! Besides jewelry they also have a variety of gifts and decorations, including Christmas ornaments, sterling silver plated picture frames, and much more from brands like Belleek, Lennox, and more!
- For more information, visit the Thorpe and Company website.
- Sioux City Gifts
- For the best source of gifts from local makers, brands, and writers, you're in the right place! Notably, they have a great selection of books about Siouxland, including my new Sioux City area travel guide, 100 Things to Do in Sioux City & Siouxland Before You Die which includes several photos from Sioux City Gifts owner George Lindblade, as well as tons of funny Sioux City themed T-shirts, and 2020's must-have: COVID SUX face masks.
- For store hours, to order online, or to peruse their selection of great gifts, visit the Sioux City Gifts website.
- Trinity Heights
- This Siouxland park is best known for its 30+ foot tall statues of Mary and Jesus, but also has a gift shop with a lovely selection of religious themed gifts.
- For store hours and other information, visit the Trinity Heights website.
- Drilling Pharmacy
- Don't let the name fool you-this Siouxland store chain is full of delightful gifts, including home decor, purses, and much more! Also watch for "Drilling Deals" for the most bang for your gifting buck!
- For store hours and more information, visit the Drilling Pharmacy website
- Odyssey Gift Shop in LaunchPad Children's Museum
- Toys, educational games, and more available, with a focus on toys and games that support STEM learning!
- Wilmes Hardware
- Wide variety of gift items, from tools to home & garden decor, plus adorable toys from Nebraska-based toy company FatBrain Toys!
Local food to make your mouth water
- Jolly Time Koated Kernels
- Find a variety of delicious flavored popcorns and gift baskets at this boutique store that uses fresh popcorn from the Jolly Time factory and takes it to the next level! I have never had a flavor there I wouldn't be happy to get a whole bag of, but I would especially recommend the Sioux City 50-50 mix if you're not sure what to get!
- For more info, visit the Koated Kernels website (but I recommend shopping in person, because free samples!)
- Palmer's Old Time Candy Shoppe
- Find bulk bins of a wide variety of candies and nuts, plus many pre-packaged options. Most of the candy here is fresh from the Palmer's factory! Some of my family's favorites are the cherry sours, reindeer corn, and chocolate covered pretzels.
- For store hours and other info, check out the Palmer's store website
Passes to Siouxland Museums
- Launchpad Children's Museum
- Both one-day passes and annual memberships which cover admission and most of their programming other than holiday parties would be great gifts!
- Visit the Launchpad website for more info
- Sioux City Railroad Museum
- Choose from daily admission passes and annual memberships which cover admission to the museum and grounds and in 2019 included their monthly Saturday storytimes as well.
- Check out the Sioux City Railroad Museum website for more info
For more gift ideas like passes and tickets to sporting events, musical performances, and more, check out my post on Experience Gifts for Siouxland Families.
Post a Comment
Thanks for joining in the conversation! We can't wait to hear what you have to say. Some comments are moderated, so it may take some time for your comment to appear on the site. We encourage lively discussion, but will delete comments that are hostile, hateful, spammy, or rude.