2020 is almost here! Are you looking for a fun way to spend it with your kids? While I definitely love playing board games, eating junk food, Netflix countdowns, and other New Year's fun at home, going out can be a really special way to celebrate the end of the year and the start of the new one. Here are some of the planned events your family might enjoy together to celebrate New Year's Eve. All events are on New Year's Eve, Tuesday 12/31/19, unless otherwise noted. You might also enjoy my post on Christmas events in Sioux City.
New Year's Eve Activities In Sioux City
- Rockin New Year's at Noon at LaunchPad Children's Museum
|Launch your New Year at LaunchPad!|
- Dance party with confetti, balloons, and more!
- $2 in addition to membership or paid daily admission
- More info available on the LaunchPad Children's Museum website
- Snow Glow Tubing at Cone Park
- 6-9pm at Cone Park
- Reservations available on the Cone Park website.
- Balloon Drop Storytime at the Perry Creek Library
- 11am at the Perry Creek branch of the Sioux City Public Library
- Storytime followed by a celebratory balloon drop
- Free event!
- Sioux City Musketeers Hockey vs Omaha Lancers at the Tyson Events Center, 7:05pm
- more info available on the Sioux City Musketeers website
- Ice Skating at IBP *Not yet announced, but was held in 2018. Will be updated if details are released confirming it is happening again this year!*
- more info available on the IBP Ice Center website
New Year's Eve Activities Within 2 Hours of Sioux City
- Sioux Falls Stampede Hockey vs Des Moines Buccanneers at Denny Sanford PREMIER Center, 6:05pm with skating party to follow game
- more info available on the Sioux Falls Stampede website
- Sioux Falls Skyforce Basektball vs Oklahoma City Blue at the Sanford Pentagon, 6:30pm
- lots of extra fun like giveaways planned
- more info available on the Sioux Falls Skyforce website
- New Year's Eve at Great Bear Ski Valley in Sioux Falls
- reduced rates for skiing, tubing, and more snowy fun after 5pm
- fireworks at midnight
- more info on the Great Bear Ski Valley website
- Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo New Year's Eve Party details TBA
- More info on the Henry Doorly Zoo website
- Omaha Children's Museum Bubbly New Year's Eve Party
|Photo of Bubbly New Year's Eve used with permission of the Omaha Children's Museum|
- Held from 4-8pm, and includes a bubble wrap stomp, bubbly science show, costumed character visits from Glenda the Good Witch and a mermaid, and a bubble drop at 7:45pm.
- Included with regular admission or membership.
- More info on the Omaha Children's Museum website
New Year's Eve Road Trip Ideas (more than 2 hours from Sioux City):
Children's Museum of South Dakota
Science Center of Iowa
- Noon's Day Eve party and museum open from 10am-5pm
- New Year's parade led by Kidoodle (the museum's mascot) followed by Ball Drop at noon
- Maker Lab open from 1-4pm
- For more information, visit the Children's Museum of South Dakota website.
Science Center of Iowa
Des Moines, IA
- balloon drop and Noon Day's Eve party, 9am to noon, with face painting, balloon twisting, a magician, and more
- more information available on the Science Center of Iowa website
For more kid friendly New Years events in the Des Moines area, check out this post from the Des Moines Parents website
Science City at Union Station
Kansas City, MO
- Noon Year's Eve Party with tons of interactive fun and learning, including a 2,500+ balloon drop, starts at noon
- more info available on the KC Science City website
For more KC New Year's Eve events including the KC Zoo, World of Fun Winterfest and much more, check out this post from the KC Parent website
New Year's Day
There are also some great events planned for family fun on New Year's Day to help your family kick the year off your way, including:
- Free Day at the Norm Waitt Sr. YMCA in South Sioux City **Held in 2019, not yet confirmed for January 1st, 2020. Will be updated if details are released about this year's event!)
- 8am to 8pm
- includes a variety of group classes and other fun
- more info on the Norm Waitt Sr. YMCA website
- First Day Hikes at state parks around the US including here in Siouxland
- more details in my First Day Hikes post
Happy New Year Siouxland! Thanks for letting me be part of your 2019, and thanks for being part of mine!