*Now updated with 2023 details*
When Valentine's Day is over, down come the hearts and up go the shamrocks! If you too love the wearin' of the green, shamrock shakes, leprechauns and rainbows, blarney and shenanigans, you're in the right place. Saint Patrick's Day this year will be on Friday, March 17th, 2023, kicking off a weekend full of Irish fun. There are tons of things to do for St. Patrick's Day in Sioux City and in nearby cities (and cities a wee bit farther away), and here are some of my top picks:
St. Patrick's Day Shenanigans in Sioux City
The Sioux City Saint Patrick's Day Parade
- St. Patrick's Day Parade 2023 will be held on Friday, March 17th beginning at 6pm!
- For more information, visit the Sioux City St. Patrick's Day Parade website
A Leprechaun's View of Sioux City
- On Saturday, March 11th, 2023, the Sioux City Public Museum has a fun free event for kids as part of their "Kids Saturdays" series of events.
St. Patrick's Day Storytime
- Join the Sergeant Bluff Public Library for this festive storytime on Saturday, March 11th at 1pm
Learn a Jig
- All ages are welcome to learn to jig at the Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center on Saturday, March 18th at 1pm in a free and fun event.
St. Patrick's Day Rainbow Suncatcher Workshop
- Make beautiful rainbow suncatchers at the Sioux City Art Center on Saturday, March 18th at 10:30am, for ages 7+ (or for younger artists with an adult helper!), $7 per person
St. Patrick's Day Shenanigans within 2 hours of Sioux City
Celtic Celebration Concert with the Browns
- Several performances planned for 2023, with optional delicious meals before each show, including:
- 3/11 at 1:30pm
- 3/16 at 7pm
- 3/17 at 7pm
- 3/18 at 1:30pm
- More information and tickets available here.
St. Patrick's Day in Sioux Falls
- Sioux Falls St. Patrick's Day Parade
- The 2022 parade will be held on Saturday, March 18th beginning at 2pm at 13th and Phillips.
- The painting of the shamrock at 9th Street and Phillips Avenue TBA
- For more information visit the Sioux Falls St. Patrick's Day Parade fb page.
- Sioux Falls Irish restaurants:
- McNally's Irish Pub at 69th & Western offers a variety of Irish & American fare. Must be 21+ to enter except on Sundays, when all ages are welcome. Visit their website for more info.
- Blarney Stone Irish Pub, 333 South Phillips Ave claims to be Sioux Fall's most authentic Irish pub. Must be 21+ to enter. For more info, visit their website.
St. Patrick's Day in Omaha
There's a huge variety of fun options for celebrating St. Patrick's Day in the Omaha area. For more details on all the fun in March this Omaha, visit the Oh My Omaha blog. Here are a few of the highlights of the St. Patrick's Day events in Omaha:
- Omaha St. Patrick's Day parade is held in the Old Market starting from 15th and Harney, with a party to follow at the Old Mattress Factory featuring Irish music, food, and more. 2023 parade is scheduled for March 11th at 10am.
- The Hooley is a family friendly St. Patrick's Day bash at the Omaha Firefighters Hall. This year's Hooley is March 5th, 2023. More info here.
- The Shamrock Shuffle 5k and Leprechaun Chase kids run in Council Bluffs are schedule for March 11th, 2023.
- Find Irish food and drink in Omaha at the Brazen Head Irish Pub, Paddy McGown's, and more (full list in that great Omaha post from Kim!)
St. Patrick's Day RoadtripsWilling to drive a bit further for an epic St. Patrick's Day celebration? Check out some of these options:
- O'Neill, Nebraska
- about 2 and a half hours west of Sioux City, O'Neill is the "Irish Capital of Nebraska" and has the world's largest shamrock, not to mention a spectacular St. Patrick's Day parade, Shamrock Fun Run, a green eggs & ham breakfast, live music and dancing throughout the week, and much more. For full schedule and details, check out the O'Neill, Nebraska website.
- Kansas City
- Kansas City has one of the best St. Patrick's Day parades in the Midwest, downtown ending in the Westport area, plus more than a half a dozen other great St. Patrick's Day parades in the metro area in March, including Snake Saturday in North Kansas City. You can also join in the Westport St. Patrick's Day run and tons of other shamrock filled fun. For more info, visit the KC Parents St. Patrick's Day post.
- Chicago consistently makes pretty much every list of best places in the entire world to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. For more info on their epic celebrations including a huge parade downtown and the dyeing of the Chicago River green, check out the Chicago Parent website.
Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!
Post a Comment
Thanks for joining in the conversation! We can't wait to hear what you have to say. Some comments are moderated, so it may take some time for your comment to appear on the site. We encourage lively discussion, but will delete comments that are hostile, hateful, spammy, or rude.