*Now updated with 2021 details*
When Valentine's Day is over, down come the hearts and up go the shamrocks! If you too love the wearin' of the green, shamrock shakes, leprechauns and rainbows, blarney and shenanigans, you're in the right place. There are tons of things to do for St. Patrick's Day in Sioux City and in nearby cities (and cities a wee bit farther away), and here are some of my top picks:
St. Patrick's Day Shenanigans in Sioux City
The Sioux City Saint Patrick's Day Parade
- The 2021 St. Patrick's Day Parade has been cancelled, with plans for the tradition to return in 2022.
- For more information, visit the Sioux City St. Patrick's Day Parade website
St. Patrick's Day Festival hosted by the Tyson Events Center
- Starts Saturday, March 13th with a fun run and walk along the riverfront at 11am
- 3.4 mile route, with the finish line at the Tyson Events Center.
- Early registration $25 which includes a T-shirt. Same day registration $30.
- After the race, all ages are welcome to celebrate outside the Tyson Events Center with corned beef and cabbage and live music, plus some Guinness for the 21+ crowd
Other Sioux City Shenanigans
St. Patrick's Day Shenanigans within 2 hours of Sioux City
Celtic Celebration Concert with the Browns
- Gospel singers the Browns will be performing traditional and inspirational Celtic music from Danny Boy to You Raise Me Up and Amazing Grace at the Browns Century Theater in LeMars with 5 showtimes this March, including a dinner theater option, with delicious corned beef and cabbage or fish options!
- Friday, March 12th at 7pm
- Saturday, March 13th at 1:30pm
- Wednesday, March 17th at 7pm
- Friday, March 19th at 7pm
- Saturday, March 20th at 1:30pm
- Tickets start at $10 for kids or $25 for adult for just the show, or $15 for kids and $38 for adults for dinner & a show
St. Patrick's Day in Sioux Falls
- Sioux Falls St. Patrick's Day Parade
- The Sioux Falls St. Patrick's Day Parade has been cancelled for 2021.
- The painting of the shamrock at 9th Street and Phillips Avenue TBA
- For more information go here.
- Sioux Falls Irish restaurants:
- McNally's Irish Pub at 69th & Western offers a variety of Irish & American fare. Must be 21+ to enter except on Sundays, when all ages are welcome. Visit their website for more info.
- Blarney Stone Irish Pub, 333 South Phillips Ave claims to be Sioux Fall's most authentic Irish pub. Must be 21+ to enter. For more info, visit their website.
St. Patrick's Day in Omaha
There's a huge variety of fun options for celebrating St. Patrick's Day in the Omaha area. For more details on all the fun in March this Omaha, visit the Oh My Omaha blog (currently linking to her 2018 post and will update once her 2019 post is up!) Here are a few of the highlights of the St. Patrick's Day events in Omaha:
- Omaha St. Patrick's Day parade is usually held in the Old Market starting from 15th and Harney, with a party to follow at the Old Mattress Factory featuring Irish music, food, and more. The 2021 parade details TBA
- The Hooley is a family friendly St. Patrick's Day bash at the Omaha Firefighters Hall. This year's Hooley has been cancelled, with plans for the tradition tor return in 2022. More info here.
- Find Irish food and drink in Omaha at the Brazen Head Irish Pub, Paddy McGown's, and more.
St. Patrick's Day Rib and Chili Cookoff at the Manning Hausbarn-Heritage Park
- The Manning Hausbarn-Heritage Park Rib & Chili Cookoff has been cancelled for 2021.
St. Patrick's Day RoadtripsWilling to drive a bit further for an epic St. Patrick's Day celebration? Check out some of these options:
- O'Neill, Nebraska:
- about 2 and a half hours west of Sioux City, O'Neill is the "Irish Capital of Nebraska" and has the world's largest shamrock, not to mention a spectacular St. Patrick's Day parade, Shamrock Fun Run, a green eggs & ham breakfast, live music and dancing throughout the week, and much more. For full schedule and details, check out the O'Neill, Nebraska website.
- Kansas City
- Kansas City has one of the best St. Patrick's Day parades in the Midwest, downtown ending in the Westport area, plus more than a half a dozen other great St. Patrick's Day parades in the metro area in March, including Snake Saturday in North Kansas City. You can also join in the Westport St. Patrick's Day run and tons of other shamrock filled fun. For more info, visit the KC Parents St. Patrick's Day post.
- Chicago consistently makes pretty much every list of best places in the entire world to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. For more info on their epic celebrations including a huge parade downtown and the dyeing of the Chicago River green, check out the Chicago Parent website.
Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!