Whether the tiny dancers in your life dream of tutus and pirouettes, high-tops and crop tops, pom-poms and big bows, Tony awards and top hats, or flips and medals galore, there's sure to be a class in the Sioux City area to help them make progress towards their goals (and have tons of fun getting fit along the way)! Here's the scoop on dance, gymnastics, and cheer classes in Sioux City and Siouxland:
How to choose a dance class for your child
|photo by ASK2Media used with permission of Arena Dance Academy|
- Talk to your child about what type(s) of dance or gymnastics sound most interesting to them.
- Talk to your child about how serious they are about dance. Some studios are more serious and really strive to provide the foundation necessary for a future as a collegiate or professional dancer, while other studios focus more on skill-building, fitness, and fun at a more recreational level. Some studios offer both in different classes. Both can be great, or either can be miserable if its not a fit for the interests of the individual dancer.
- Also look at whether a gym or studio is more focused on teaching skills and technique, in preparing for competitions, or just practicing recital routines. Again, all of these can be good as long as they are a good match for your dancer!
- Check out the website and social media of the studio you're most interested in. This can reveal a lot about the overall vibe of the place you're looking at. Does it seem positive, intense, dramatic, casual, athletic, aesthetic? Of course all studios will be all of those things to a certain extent, but again, check the balance you see at the studio you are considering against the interests of your potential dancer to strive for a reasonable fit!
- Ask about schedule (of classes, recitals, and competitions!), pricing (again, for classes, recitals, and competitions!), and other quantitative information. Some studios and classes may not work with your existing family schedule or budget, and it's better to know that beforehand if possible.
- Look at the dance experience, education, and styles of the teachers. If your child is most interested in ballet, it might make sense to choose a studio with a more experienced ballet teacher than one that is a great fit in other ways but whose teachers are specialists only in modern dance, for example (most of the studios have pretty well-balanced instruction teams though!)
- Ask about sample classes. Some studios may allow a dancer or parent to attend a class to see what a typical class at that studio is like.
- Give it a try! Signing up for one dance class doesn't mean you have to sign your life away to dance forever or remain loyal to a studio that wasn't the right fit for your child. If your child tries a dance class and it doesn't end up being a good fit, they can switch classes, studios, or activities! It's ok to try new things and discover some that don't work for you!
Dance Studios in Sioux City & Siouxland:
Arena Dance Academy
|photo used with permission of Arena Dance Academy|
4501 Southern Hills Drive, Sioux City, IA
- Types of classes: Jazz, Tap, Ballet, Pre-pointe, Musical theatre, Lyrical, Hip-hop
- Ages: 3 years-high school
- Why parents and students love us
Our passionate staff, our state-of-the-art, safe facility, and our family environment. We welcome boys and girls at the recreational and competitive levels.
|photo used with permission from Arena Dance Academy|
- For more information or to sign up: Visit the Arena Dance Academy website or connect with them on Facebook or Instagram!
Contemporary Dance Studio
1551 Indian Hills Dr., Suite 101, Sioux City, IA
- Types of classes: Ballet, Contemporary, Jazz, Tap, Hip Hop, and Acro Dance
- Ages: 2years through adult
- Why parents and students love us:
Contemporary Dance Studio strives to support and enhance the lives of our students, and to better our community. We use modern facilities and philosophies to teach dance, encourage creativity, promote physical fitness and build self esteem. We will support our community by providing artistic enrichment and meeting charitable community needs.
- For more information or to sign up for classes:
Sioux City Just for Kix
Augustana Lutheran Church, 600 Court Street, Sioux City, IA 51105
- Types of classes: Kick, Hip Hop, Lyrical, and Jazz
- Ages: 2 years through 12th grade
- Why parents and students love our classes:
Sioux City Just For Kix dancers experience the perfect balance of learning and fun, in a positive and inclusive teaching environment. Here, doing your best is more important then being the best! The Sioux City Just For Kix Program started in 2006 to offer dance classes to youth ages 2 years through 12 grade. Currently, the Sioux City Just For Kix Program offers over 25 classes. We are rooted in a long tradition of youth dance education. Just For Kix dance classes are available in 12 states at over 200 locations, bringing youth proven techniques with a team work focus. Along with leading dance curriculum, our classes are designed to build confidence and self-esteem in students. Students can join at anytime.
- For more information or to sign up: Visit the Sioux City Just for Kix website.
Socorra's1108 Pierce Street Sioux City IA
- Types of classes: Tap, Jazz, Ballet, Pointe, Baton, Acro, Hip Hop
- Ages: 3 through adult
- For more information or to sign up: Visit the Socorra's website.
208 Westshore Drive, McCook Lake, SD
- Types of classes: Dance and gymnastics including Ballet, Tap, Tumbling and more!
- Ages: 3-18 years
- What parents and students love about us:
We have a state of the art facility, with 5 classrooms, sprung floors, and professional adult staff. We offer classes for recreational dancers up to competitive dancers.
- For more information or to sign up for classes:
- Visit the 5678! website, or contact the studio by email at email@example.com or by phone at (605)242-5678
- Types of classes: Gymnastics, Ninja, and Cheer
- Ages: Preschool through high school (ninja classes for ages 3-12)
- For more information or to sign up: Visit the V.I.P. website.
So grab your dancing shoes and hit that dance floor Siouxland! I can't wait to see your moves!
If you run a studio that teaches dance, cheer, and/or gymnastics in the Siouxland area and aren't included or want to change or add to the info about your classes, please contact me at SiouxlandFamiliesBlog (at) gmail (dot) com!
Amazon links like the following are affiliate links, which means your price doesn't change, but I get a tiny % of Amazon's profits to help offset my webhosting fees. I appreciate your support!