Welcome to the newest corner of my blog! 4 times a year I'll update you with the best events, activities, and more for tweens, teens, and college students. I'll still include teen events in my regular monthly event posts here on the blog, and in the weekend updates I share on social media, but in case you want all the teen fun in one place and without the clutter of events your teen definitely won't go to, here it is!
Local Athletic Fun to Watch or Do
- DropZone Halloween Teen Night means 3 hours of unlimited jumping and laser tag plus one round of VR and some spooky snacks, all for $25
- @ Drop Zone on Fri 10/28 from 7 to 10pm
- Sioux City Musketeers Hockey is in full swing, with preseason games in late Sept and regular season games starting early October.
- Fall 2022 home games @ the Tyson Events Center on 10/8, 10/14, 10/21, 10/22, 11/2, 11/5, 11/12, 11/13, 11/23, and 11/26
- Sioux City Symphony (classical and pops instrumental)
- Fall 2022 Concerts are performed @ the Sioux City Orpheum Theater
- An American in Paris on 9/24 at 7pm
- An Evening with the Villalobos Brothers on 10/15
- Mahler's Resurrection on 11/12
- Kansas (classic rock)
- @ the Tyson, Fri 10/28 at 7pm
- Judas Priest (heavy metal)
- @ the Tyson, Tues 11/1 at 8pm
Other activities for teens this fall
- Corn Mazes like the new one at MadCat Pumpkin Patch in Jefferson, SD, or the huge one at M'azing Acres in Yankton, SD!
- Haunted Houses like Scare Central on historic 4th Street
- Escape Rooms like the new themed room The Shack at the Greatest Escape Sioux City
- Fall sports at Siouxland schools include football, volleyball, cross-country, and golf, with most of the post-season action happening in October.
- Homecoming football games and dances happen at most local high schools in late September or early October
- Leaf colors peak in mid-October in Siouxland, making it a perfect time of year for teens to hit the hiking trails at Stone Park, Ponca State Park, or other local state and county parks. Make sure your teen knows to wear some neon orange to any park that allows hunting!
- the Sioux City Art Center and Pickled Palette have a variety of fall-themed craft and fine arts classes and workshops.
- Election Day: If your teen will be 18 by election day (Nov 8th, 2022), be sure to help them know how to vote, and how to get registered in plenty of time. If your teen is younger than 18, they might still enjoy coming with you and seeing how the process works. Consider grabbing some fun food while you're out voting and take the chance to ask how they'd vote this time if they could!
- Early fall is a popular time for charity 5k races, so watch for announcements of those for your favorite local non-profits. Road races require many volunteers to be successful!
- Many schools, non-profits, and churches are hosting fall carnivals or Halloween festivals. Check in with your favorites to see whether they're offering volunteer hours that count towards school program requirements!
- If you know a family with many young children, they would probably love a teen helping to take them trick-or-treating--and as a bonus, many houses will give candy to teens even if it's clear they're just helping the younger kids!
- Neighbors who are elderly, disabled, or just plain busy may struggle to get their fall leaf raking and other yard cleanup done this fall, so consider offering to help!