Cooking together with your kids can be a great way to make mealtimes more fun, increase the odds of kids actually eating well, and help tweens and teens develop the culinary skills they'll need to be independent in a few years. So from time to time, I'll share fun recipes that I've found work well to make together with my own kids. Have a suggestion? I'd love to hear it!
One of my favorite NYE traditions is to eat appetizers all day long, from lunchtime to midnight, so thought maybe people would like to hear about one of my kids' favorite hearty apps to make together: sheet pan chicken nachos!
These chicken nachos are super easy and my tween and teen gobble them down. Here's how we make them:
Ingredients and Equipment You Need:
- Cookie sheet
- Parchment paper
- Tortilla chips
- Fajita blend shredded cheese
- Canned chicken
- Taco seasonings
- You can totally use a packet or the seasonings of your choice or
- Make your own! I use garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, black pepper, cilantro, chili powder, smoked paprika, and a splash of lime juice.
- Optional: Green onion, black olives, bell peppers, jalapenos
1. First, put your parchment paper on your cookie sheet
2. Next, put down a layer of chips. It's fine if they overlap some, but make sure a decent amount of each chip is exposed.
3. Drain the can of chicken, place in a bowl, and season with your favorite taco seasonings. Stir lightly to make sure it's evenly seasoned.
4. Sprinkle some cheese on the chips
5. Sprinkle chicken on the chips
6. Chop any veggies desired and sprinkle on the chips
7. Add another layer of cheese
8. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Cheese should be totally melted but not burnt.
If you prefer to microwave it, make one plate at a time on a microwave safe plate and try 30 seconds first, then do 15 second increments beyond that until the cheese is all melted but nothing is burnt.
And that's it! If you have picky eaters, designate zones of the cookie sheet for different people and let each one add the toppings they like best to their section. Then, eat and enjoy!