Best Free Places to Play Inside in Sioux City
The Sioux City Art Center
225 Nebraska Street
- The Sioux City Art Center consists of 2 buildings, housing permanent galleries, travelling special exhibits, and classroom space. But the best part of the Sioux City Art Center if you're looking for a way to entertain kids on a winter day, is indisputably the Junior League Hands On Gallery. Freshly renovated in 2019, the Junior League Hands On Gallery offers a wide variety of interactive artsy fun for kids, like lightboards a duplo house, foam building blocks, magnet shapes, zoetrope drawing, and much more.
- For more information, check out my Sioux City Art Center post, or visit the Sioux City Art Center website.
The Sioux City Public Museum607 4th Street
- The Sioux City Public Museum has a wide variety of exhibits showcasing Siouxland's history from prehistoric days to the present, including focuses on the Native Americans, early settlers, the Sioux City Stockyards, local disasters like floods and the Flight 232 crash. But some of the most fun for kids are the giant sandbox (actually rubber pellets) where they can excavate fossils with paintbrushes, and a cabin with a woodstove where kids can pretend to be pioneers!
- For more information on the Sioux City Public Museum, visit the Sioux City Public Museum website.
The Dorothy Pecaut Nature Center4500 Sioux River Road
- The Dorothy Pecaut Nature Center has interactive fun and live animals on display year round. Kid favorites include a duplo table with lots of animals, and a huge badger den that little ones can climb inside and use a badger cam to peek at what's happening in the rest of the center!
- The nature playscape and trails are also lots of fun in winter if it's warm enough for outdoor play, so bundle up!
- For more info, visit the Dorothy Pecaut Nature Center website.
Best Places in Sioux City to Play Inside with an Admission or Other Charge
Pizza Ranch Arcade
3116 Floyd Blvd.
- Pizza Ranch's brand-new arcade just opened in November 2021 and is home to tons of great games for a wide variety of ages
- No admission charge, but the games and the food/drink cost money.
- I'm hoping to visit with my family at some point and will take some pics and write a whole post about as many of the games available as I can at that time!
- For more information, visit the Pizza Ranch website
LaunchPad Children's Museum623 Pearl Street
- LaunchPad Children's Museum is home to dozens of fun exhibits and activities that foster learning, creativity, and fun. Some of my kids' favorites include the mini grocery store area, a super long water table, and a huge climbing area! LaunchPad also hosts educational programming for kids and families almost every day!
- For more information or to reserve a time, check out my post about playing at LaunchPad Children's Museum or visit the LaunchPad Children's Museum website.
The Long Lines Family Rec Center
401 Gordon Drive
- The Long Lines Family Rec Center adjacent to the Tyson Events Center is probably best known for its climbing wall, and with good cause--it's arguably the best rock-climbing wall between Chicago and Denver! But Long Lines also rents out basketball courts, volleyball courts and batting cages, plus hosts Open Gym for Tiny Tots every weekday morning (M-F 8am-noon) free for kids under 7!
- Check out their website for more info on hours, options, and admission and membership rates.
Drop Zone Family Fun Center3840 Stadium Drive
- Drop Zone Family Fun Center features a trampoline ninja course, laser tag, and more! Prices vary, but a popular option is the $20 deal which includes an hour of jump time, a game of laser tag, and a $5 game card.
- Visit the DropZone FFC website for more info on prices and activities!
The Norm Waitt Sr. YMCA601 Riverview Drive, South Sioux City, Nebraska
- The Norm Waitt Sr. YMCA in South Sioux City provides Siouxland families with facilities and opportunities for indoor swimming, yoga, basketball and more.
- For more information on facilities, hours, and admission, visit the Norm Waitt Sr. YMCA website.
Plaza Bowl3091 Hamilton Boulevard
- Plaza Bowl is Sioux City's only bowling alley on the north and west sides of town and offers a classic bowling experience!
- For more information, visit the Plaza Bowl Facebook page
Rush Werks3828 Stadium Drive
- Rush Werks is Sioux City's bowling alley for the Morningside neighborhood and offers fun options like glow bowling and birthday parties!
- To find out more about hours, admission, and other details, visit the Rush Werks Facebook page
IBP Ice Center3808 Stadium Drive
- The IBP Ice Center offers indoor skating and usually has public skating hours on Fridays and Saturdays evenings.
- Visit the IBP Ice Center website for more information on hours, prices, and other icy fun.
Looking for more ideas for winter fun in Siouxland? You might also enjoy my posts on Sioux City Snowday Fun and Snow Sports in Siouxland!