If you're looking for fine art in Sioux City, the Sioux City Art Center is the place to go! The Sioux City Art Center is Siouxland's home for art in a variety of mediums, primarily from modern local and regional artists, as well as pieces from historical masters like Grant Wood and Thomas Hart Benton. Here's a super-quick look of the Sioux City Art Center:
Can you tell we always have a blast visiting the Sioux City Art Center? We always see old favorites and something new! Want to know more? Here are all the details:
What is the Sioux City Art Center?
|Front entrance of the Sioux City Art Center|
The Sioux City Art Center is an art museum and art education center, which includes:
- The main building, which houses the permanent and travelling exhibit halls, the Hands On! gallery for children, the information desk, the main administrative office, and the atrium
- The Gilchrist Learning Center, where classroom space is located, along with some offices
- The grounds, which feature many large sculptures and free parking
Where is the Sioux City Art Center?The Sioux City Art Center is located at 225 Nebraska Street in downtown Sioux City.
When is the Sioux City Art Center Open?As of Fall 2019, the Sioux City Art Center is open from 10am to 4pm from Tuesday through Saturday each week, plus open late on Thursday nights until 8pm, and is open on Sundays from 1-4pm.
How much does it cost to visit the Sioux City Art Center?Admission to the Sioux City Art Center is free and open to the public. Classes, camps, workshops, and special events may have a fee and require registration.
Permanent Collection of the Sioux City Art Center
The Sioux City Art Center's permanent collection, is housed primarily in 3 galleries on the ground floor of the art center as of September 2019. Pieces in the permanent collection range from abstract to classical in style, from local artists to renaissance European artists, and include photography, digital art, paintings, sculpture, and more. Here are a few of my family's favorite pieces from the Sioux City Art Center Permanent Collection:
Grant Wood's Corn Room at the Sioux City Art Center
|A panel from Grant Wood's Corn Room|
A highlight of the Sioux City Art Center is the Corn Room by Grant Wood. Grant Wood was born near Anamosa, Iowa in the late 1800's and is best known for his painting "American Gothic," currently housed at the Art Institute of Chicago. The Corn Room is a series of murals designed for the Martin hotel in Sioux City, which were wallpapered and painted over in the 1950's, but rediscovered and restored in the 1980's. The restoration was not able to restore the full brightness of the painting, but it still constitutes a large and work by the master of American regionalism.
The Grant Wood Corn Room is now located on the third floor of the Sioux City Art Center.
Rotating Exhibits at the Sioux City Art Center
|Artwork from the "Best of the Sioux City Art Center" historical exhibits in Fall 2019|
The third floor gallery of the Sioux City Art Center features temporary exhibits, with past exhibits varying from functional mini golf courses to the Art of the Brick. For fall 2019 Exhibits celebrated the Sioux City Art Center's 80th anniversary with two exhibits--one showcasing some of the best and most memorable pieces of the Sioux City Art Center's collection acquired and displayed from its opening in 1938 through 1988, and one with pieces from 1989-2019.
|This medieval griffin was one of the Sioux City Art Center's first pieces!|
Junior League Hands On! Gallery
The Sioux City Art Center's Hands On! Gallery underwent renovation and re-opened in late September 2019, to the delight of its young visitors! The Junior League Hands On! Gallery is on the main floor of the Sioux City Art Center and includes a variety of interactive features for kids including:
- Playhouse built of Duplo-compatible base plate, with literally buckets of brick kids can decorate the house with!
- Light Peg table where kids can make shapes and patterns with oversized translucent pegs for a bright and colorful effect.
- Spinning color wheels that are beautiful even when stationary, but when spun, help kids learn what colors result when two colors are combined
- Feelings Finder, where kids can use colorful yarn to express their emotions
- Kadinsky Felt Wall Shapes allow kids to mimic the modern art master by arranging concentric felt circles and other shapes on the walls of the play gallery.
- Magnet Wall allows kids to arrange geometric magnet shapes to make imaginative designs
- Kinetic Ball Wall never stops moving, to the delight of young viewers
- Zoetrope spinner lets kids create their own simple moving animations
Here's a peek at our recent visit to the Sioux City Art Center's Junior League Hands On! Gallery:
Classes and Workshops at the Sioux City Art Center
|Creations from summer 2019 Art Camp on display in the Sioux City Art Center's Gilchrist Learning Center|
In addition to the galleries and the play space, the Sioux City Art Center is also Sioux City's hub for art education, with classes and workshops for all ages, from sensory classes for toddlers to stained glass instruction for adults, with lots of technique and creativity. The new Gilchrist Learning Center building is now home to the Sioux City Art Center's classes, and includes several classrooms, including a clay studio with kilns. For more info on classes and workshops, you can visit the education page on the Sioux City Art Center website.
|Sioux City artist Brenda Thelen preparing to teach a class at the Sioux City Art Center|
|The well-lit white hallway of the Gilchrist Learning Center provides an ideal canvas!|
For more information on the Sioux City Art Center
To find out more about the Sioux City Art Center, visit the Sioux City Art Center website or connect with them on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.