On January 1st, 2022, state parks across the nation will be hosting their annual "First Day Hikes" to encourage people to start their year off well! One special note for this year is that it is supposed to be extremely cold--dangerously so--in Siouxland on January 1st and it is essential if you plan to go out that you gear up appropriately.
Participating parks in or near Sioux City for #FirstDayHikes in Siouxland include:
First Day Hikes in IowaThe Iowa DNR and Travel Iowa teamed up this year to offer a fun giveaway for participants in First Day Hikes at Iowa State Parks! To participate, go on a first day hike at one of the listed Iowa State Parks and check in with the Iowa State Park Passport program! One winner who checks in between December 31st and January 2nd will win a one night stay at an Iowa State Park cabin at Lake Darling State Park. The full list of parks participating in the Iowa State Park Program and the list of those offering guided First Day Hikes are available on the Iowa State Park Passport program website, but some of the parks in or close to Sioux City include:
- Stone Park
- Sioux City, IA
- Meet at the Park Office at 10am on January 1st, 2022 to join in the guided hike!
- Lewis & Clark State Park
- Onawa, IA
- Meet at the Visitors Center at 10am on January 1st, 2022 to join in the guided hike!
- Prairie Rose State Park
- Harlan, IA
- Meet at the East Trail gravel parking lot at 8am on January 1st, 2022 to join in the guided hike!
First Day Hikes in South Dakota
- Big Sioux Recreation Area
- Brandon, SD
- Stop by the park entrance booth between 2 and 3pm on January 1st, 2022 to join in a self-guided winter wonderland nature hike
- Lewis & Clark Recreation Area
- Yankton, SD
- Hike and dog walk planned
- Meet at 1pm on January 1st, 2022 at the Gavins Boat Ramp Parking Lot to participate
- Good Earth State Park
- Sioux Falls, SD
- Meet at 2pm on January 1st, 2022 at the picnic shelter to join in a guided one mile hike
First Day Hikes in Nebraska
- Ponca State Park
- Ponca, NE
- Tons of fun scheduled all day to celebrate the New Year, starting with a guided hike at 9am and ending with lighted hayrides in the evening!
If you go hiking on 1/1/2022, whether on one of these guided hikes or on your own, you're encouraged to share on social media using
For the full list of Iowa State Parks hosting First Day Hikes, visit the Iowa DNR website
For the full list of participating Nebraska State Parks, check the Nebraska Game and Parks calendar
For the full list of participating South Dakota State Parks, check the South Dakota Game, Fish, and Parks website
Looking for New Year's Eve events in and around Sioux City? Check out my Siouxland Family Friendly New Year's Eve post.
Happy Hiking and Happy New Year!!