Siouxland rocks at Halloween. We've got everything from kid-friendly trunk-or-treat events and craft projects to a possibly-haunted former asylum that will terrify even teens. And as 2022 dates and details are released for more Halloween events in Sioux City and our neighboring communities, I'll try to include them all here! So bookmark this page and check back anytime you want to know where to celebrate this season, whether you're looking for spooky or sweet! Please keep in mind that things may change especially quickly this year, so please stay flexible and patient as everyone tries to find the right balance of caution and fun.
Table of Contents
Trick-or-Treat in Siouxland 2022There are no ordinances setting or restricting trick-or-treat hours in Sioux City, Iowa, South Sioux City, Nebraska, or North Sioux City, South Dakota. Customarily trick-or-treat hours in the Sioux City area happen between 6-8pm on October 31st, which is a Monday this year. Whether you live in one of those communities or one of our neighboring areas, I also recommend following your local government on social media to make sure you have the most accurate updates!
Pumpkin Patches near Sioux CityThe closest pumpkin patches to Sioux City are Scarecrow Farm in Lawton, Iowa, and MadCat Pumpkin Patch in Jefferson, SD. You can read more about my family's visit to Scarecrow Farm Or check out my full list of pumpkin patches within 2 hours of Sioux City. There are tons of great pumpkin patches in our area, with a variety of fun activities at each. Some are pretty simple, and some are quite elaborate. All of them are great places to celebrate fall!
Halloween events in Sioux City, South Sioux City, and North Sioux City
- Halloweentown Drive-in Movie Night
- Saturday Sept. 24th, 2022 held at dusk, with parking permitted starting at 6:30pm
- at Knoepfler Chevrolet in Sioux City, IA
- FREE admission, with concessions available for purchase from local boy scouts
- More information available here.
- First Saturday Family Storytime: Boo! (Not so) Spooky Stories
- Sat 10/1 at 11am at the downtown branch of the Sioux City Public Library
- Spooky storytime and a silly spider craft, FREE
- Fall Festival hosted by the Norm Waitt Sr. YMCA
- Fri 10/14 from 6-8pm
- Includes a costume parade, family yard games, pumpkin patch, and a trick-or-treat village!
- For more information or to reserve tickets, visit the Norm Waitt Sr. YMCA website.
- Haunted Hike at Bacon Creek
- Friday and Saturday, 10/21& 22nd, 2022 with half hour time slots starting from 7 to 9pm
- .5 mile hike full of spooky surprises!
- $5 for each person 3 or older (free for babies and toddlers 2 & under)
- Sign up on the Sioux City Parks & Rec registration website.
- Haunted Lodge Party hosted by Camp High Hopes
- Held at the Marriott South Sioux City Riverfront (former Marina)
- More info and tickets here.
- Halloween at the Roundhouse at the Sioux City Railroad Museum
- Sat 10/29 from 10am to 4pm and Sun 10/30 from noon to 4pm PLUS a special "quiet hour" from 11am to noon on Sunday for families with kids with special needs
- Admission $3 per person
- Featuring hay rides, costumed characters, spooky tales in train cars, and much more!
- Pony rides, motor car rides, and grand scale train rides also available for a small additional fee
- More info here.
- Boo-tacular Bash at Miracle Field
- Pumpkin Painting at Art SUX Gallery
- LaunchPad's Halloween Spectacular at LaunchPad Children's Museum
Trunk-or-Treat & Trick-or-Treat in Sioux City
- 10/22 Trunk or Treat at St Luke Evangelical, 4-6pm
- 10/22 Trunk or Treat at St Mark Lutheran, 2-4pm
- 10/29 Trunk or Treat hosted by Bummers Car Club at Riverside Elementary School, 6:30pm
- 10/27 Trick or Treat at the Tyson Events Center, FREE, 5-7pm
- 10/29 Trunk or Treat at Telco Triad, for Kids Club MEMBERS ONLY, 1-2pm with free candy and contests for best costume and best trunk! More details here.
- 10/30: Spooky Fest at the Sergeant Bluff Rec Complex, with snacks, games, crafts, and other fun events from 2-4 and a Trick or Treat Trail from 4-5pm!, FREE, more details here.
Trunk or Treat events in other Siouxland communities
- Trunk or Treat at Lewis and Clark Recreation Area
- Yankton, SD at the Gavin's Point Boat Ramp Parking Lot & Nature Trail
- 10/15 from 3:30-5pm
- Trick or Treat plus a Halloween hike!
- Willow Creek Creepy Camper Crawl
- Le Mars, IA
- Sat 10/1 from 5-8pm
- Everyone welcome to come trick or treat from decked out campers at Willow Creek, and there will be door prizes as well!
- Full details here.
Not yet confirmed for 2022 but have held trick or treat events in past years:
- Downtown Onawa
- Kingsley Public Library
- Salix Community Center
- LB Family Group (Treat Trail in Bronson)
Halloween events in Sioux FallsAll addresses in this section are in Sioux Falls, SD unless otherwise noted
- Spooky Art Projects at the Museum of Visual Materials
- Several spooky projects and events planned for October including Spooky Paintings for ages 6+ on 10/10, Fall Craft Night on 10/11, Homeschool Haunted Houses on 10/18, Homeschool Spooky Paintings on 10/19, Homeschool Witch Painting on 10/24, and Preschool Halloween Activities on 10/26 and 10/31
- Haunted Cabaret at Washington Pavilion
- 10/6 and 10/7 at 7:30pm
- Presented by the Good Night Theatre Collective, live on stage at the Belbas Theatre
- Spooky selections from film and theater
- Spooky Science at Washington Pavilion
- 10/5 from 10am to 5pm
- At the Kirby Science Discovery Center
- Includes activities with Boo Bubbles, Squishy Slime, and more, plus Halloween treats!
- Full details here.
Other Halloween events in Siouxland
- Jefferson Halloween Party
- Jefferson, SD
- Sat 10/29 from 2-5pm
- Trunk or treat with prizes for best trunk and best costume
- Food truck on site!
- Beer garden hosted by Jefferson Beer Supply, featuring pumpkin spice beer made with local pumpkins!
- More info here.
- Halloween at Hillview at Hillview Recreation Area
- Hinton, Iowa
- Sat 10/8 from 2-9pm, hosted by Plymouth County Recreation
- Kiddie Carnival, Bake Sale and more starts at 2, with trick-or-treating starting at 6pm!
- Haunted History Tours at the Mead Cultural Center
- Haunted History Overnight at the Mead Cultural Center
- Grant Park Spooktacular
- Yankton's Harvest Halloween
- Grand Meadows Heritage Center an annual Haunted House
- Annual Hallowfest at Ponca State Park
- Zombie Hunt at Rev-Tac