A fun new event is coming to the Tyson Events Center! The Sioux City Community Trunk Sale is happening on September 26th, 2020 and here's what you should know about it:
What's a Trunk Sale?
A trunk sale is essentially a parking lot full of rows and rows of garage sales and flea market booths! You get all the fun of browsing and buying other people's old treasures, but with the safety and community of being in a large, well-supervised public space with lots of other people, and the convenience of it all being in one spot.
When I was a kid, we visited the San Diego stadium swap meet every time my Grandpa came to visit, and I always had so much fun looking at all the booths full of items from vintage clothes and funky purses, to geodes and baseball cards. We always found something we couldn't resist, for a price we were willing to pay! One of my favorites probably won't make a comeback in 2020: I got some awesome pogs at the swap meet in the 90's! But even without the prospect of pogs, I'm so excited that Sioux City is going to have this event!
How to participate
To shop at the Sioux City Community Trunk Sale, all you have to do is show up at the Tyson Events Center on September 26th anytime between 9am and 2pm! Admission is free for shoppers of all ages, so there's no way to lose! Because the event is out in the open air and sunshine, it should be relatively low risk, but please follow local health guidelines on social distancing and face coverings in place at time of the event. It's best to bring some cash, as some individuals may not have a way to accept cards and it would be a bummer to miss out on something great because of that!
To sell register with the Tyson Events Center. They have a form to fill out, along with a list of what items can and cannot be sold, on their website. Single booths costs $25 and double booths are $40, and sellers must have their vehicles in place by 8am.
TIP: Team up with some friends, relatives, or colleagues if you want to split the seller fee, and take shifts selling!
While none of this is required (you can totally just literally sell things out of the trunk of your car if you want to!), I recommend also bringing anything you'd want if selling at a garage sale or flea market like:
- A folding table, clothing rack, milk crates, or something else to display your wares
- Camping or folding chairs for anyone who will be manning the booth/trunk
- A cash box or bag
- Extra rolls of coins and small bills to make change
- Something to mark your prices
- A canopy tent or a hat and some sunscreen
- Freebies for kids like individually wrapped candy, stickers, pencils, etc. (parents shop longer when kids stay in one place for longer!)
- Marketing materials if you have a store or brand to promote
- A Square reader or other method of accepting card based payments if you have access to one.
- Decorations to make your selling area cute, whether that's the trunk of your car or an elaborate table setup!
Most importantly, whether you are buying or selling, come ready to have fun!
For more information
To find out more about the Tyson Events Center and the Community Trunk Sale, visit the Tyson Events Center website!